When you are looking for a job, LinkedIn has three primary values. First, it is a great way to figure out who in your affinity network is working at companies you want to target. Second, it can be a useful way to message people that you do not have contact information for. Third it is a handy way of understanding what sort of openings target companies have, through their job postings on the site. However, the rest of it is a swill of marketing driven social media hype and it is not worth the time needed to apply to actual job postings, which function to help HR departments harvest resumes, not help you find a job.
- LinkedIn Sucks – TechCrunch
- 6 Reasons Why LinkedIn Sucks. As Told Through Memes – Smth House
- How I Hate LinkedIn – Let Me Count the Ways – Hurst Internet Marketing
- LinkedIn is a Terrible App – Medium
- Why Aren’t We Talking About LinkedIn? – The New York Times
- Is LinkedIn a Waste of Time? – The Wall Street Journal